2023Webinar Investing in Knowledge: Funding Gender-Sensitive Research in Syria
The discussion will be held in both Arabic and English, with simultaneous interpretation available on Zoom only.
You can register to attend by following this link. You will receive a Zoom confirmation email should your registration be successful. Alternatively, you can watch the event live here on our Facebook page.
The protracted conflict in Syria has created a significant data deficit and perpetuated the marginalization of women from peace and security platforms. In response to this, the Arab Reform Initiative (ARI) has been working with local researchers in Syria on the Supporting Arab Women at the Table (SAWT)project in order to explore local women-led peacebuilding initiatives, their representation at high level peace discussions, as well as the alternative forms of political engagement and participation that have emerged in the past years.
Research teams in Syria have conducted participatory action research using feminist methodologies to develop actionable recommendations and amplify local experiences, demonstrating the dire need for such approaches.
This webinar is occuring as a side event during the Syria Conference in Brussels. The webinar's objective is to emphasize the critical role of financial support for gender-sensitive research in Syria. It focuses on the unique challenges confronted by women in conflict-affected areas and underscore the importance of integrating a gender perspective into research endeavors.
This webinar will:
- Raise awareness among conference participants about the significance of gender-sensitive research in Syria and its impact on understanding and addressing gender inequalities.
- Discuss the specific challenges and barriers faced in financing gender-sensitive research projects within the Syrian context.
- Explore the role of technology and innovation in advancing gender-sensitive research in Syria.
- Examine pathways for translating gender-sensitive research findings into evidence-based policies and programs.
- Discuss strategies and provide recommendations for sustainable financing of gender-sensitive research projects, including various funding models and partnerships.
SAWT is funded by the European Union (EU), led by the Arab Reform Initiative (ARI) and managed through the following country partners: Together We Build It (TWBI) in Libya, The Sana'a Center For Strategic Studies in Yemen, The Iraqi Al-Amal Association (IAA) in Iraq, ARI for Syria, The Culture and Free Thought Association (CFTA) in Palestine and the Asfari Institute for Civil Society and Citizenship at the American University of Beirut.