2020Webinar | Humanitarian Aid in Beirut: Lessons from the Ground
TIME: 16:00-17:00 (Beirut time)
- Marie-Noëlle AbiYaghi, Director of Lebanon Support
- Ziad Abdel Samad, Executive Director of the Arab NGO Network for Development
- Jamil Mouawad, Senior Fellow (Beirut), Arab Reform Initiative
Following the explosion in Beirut on 4 August 2020, humanitarian aid and relief have poured into Lebanon from the local and international communities. Accompanying this effort is a popular demand to leave the State out of the humanitarian process due to the widespread corruption of state institutions. In doing so, many hope to avoid aid being used by the current ruling political class to ensure its legitimacy and expand its clientelist networks.
This webinar focuses on three key points:
- Have there been previous successful attempts that can be used as a reference to build upon?
- How does bypassing the State affect humanitarian aid and relief efforts? Is this a sufficient condition to ensuring transparency in the process?
- What are the standards for transparency and conditions for independence that should be adhered to by local and international civil society actors present on the ground?
The webinar will be in Arabic with simultaneous interpretation available on Zoom only.