Start date: immediate
Duration: One-year contract (renewable)
Full time position, based in Lebanon or Tunisia
Deadline: 15 September 2023
Project: Strengthening Civil Society Actors and Networks Advocating for a Just Environmental Transition in the Middle East and North Africa
The Arab Reform Initiative (ARI), as the lead partner of the project entitled “Strengthening Civil Society Actors: and Networks Advocating for a Just Environmental Transition in the Middle East and North Africa” (MENA) is seeking a full-time / Program and Communications Coordinator to support the above-mentioned project implementation.
He/she will be closely working with and reporting to the Program Director to a) ensure smooth project implementation; b) ensure regular and effective coordination with consortium partners in the MENA region and other relevant stakeholders; c) lead on innovative visibility and communication approaches; d) support the coordination of regional environmental youth networks in the region. Moreover, he/she will ensure high impact and quality delivery through sound project management and contribute to financial sustainability.
About ARI and the “Strengthening Civil Society Actors and Networks Advocating for a Just Environmental Transition in the Middle East and North Africa” Project
ARI is an independent policy research center whose key mission is to articulate a home-grown agenda for democratic change and social justice in Arab countries. We operate on the principles of gender equality and diversity. We conduct policy analysis and innovative field research, combine scholarly work and advocacy, and produce practical intellectual tools to strengthen practices of active citizenship and influence political transformation processes. We also empower research from the MENA region by providing an international platform for dissemination. ARI engages academic researchers, think tanks, social movements, civil society actors and activists, decision-makers, media, and the public on issues of democratization, social justice and full citizenship. ARI works in partnership with regional and international institutions to promote sustained South-South and South-to-North exchanges and dialogues related to reform initiatives across the region. ARI has offices in Paris, Beirut and Tunis.
Within ARI’s Environmental Politics program, the “Strengthening Civil Society Actors and Networks Advocating for a Just Environmental Transition in the Middle East and North Africa” project aims to (i) link and empower CSOs – as well as locally-led initiatives - to be able to meaningfully participate in public policies and to influence policy dialogues in and about the region and (ii) ensure that efforts to tackle climate change and environmental degradation include inputs from impacted communities, address long-standing inequalities and ultimately support the emergence of accountable and democratic governance structures. The project will create new venues and mechanisms for cross-regional, intergenerational, cross-sectorial exchange and coalition-building for shared learning and collective action planning. It will also generate key forum for South-South and South-to-North exchanges that provide unique opportunities for knowledge production and sharing, advocacy and policy influencing.
It is funded by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) with ARI as the lead partner and implemented through country partners consisting of the Morocco Institute for Policy Analysis (MIPA) in Morocco.
Scope of Work
The Project and Communications Coordinator will have the following key responsibilities:
- Coordinating and following up on the deliverables of the environmental politics program research team.
- Implementing and monitoring of all project activities and milestones, in close consultation with the Program Director.
- Working closely and building positive relationships with project partners in all countries of interventions to ensure project deliverables are met. This entails maintaining regular communication channels with partners and co-leading bilateral and consortium-level meetings.
- Building partnerships with and ensuring outreach to other relevant stakeholders in collaboration with the Program Director and ARI’s wider team.
- Supporting the establishment of regional networks with environmental youth advocates and support in preparing for ARI’s two annual conferences on conflict and just transition (this includes identifying environmental youth advocates and coordinating with them).
- Carrying out day-to-day administrative and coordination tasks necessary for overall project success.
Partners and Donor Reporting
- Coordinating partners’ reporting on all project deliverables, while ensuring high quality content and timely submissions.
- Assisting the Program Director in the preparation of the narrative reporting as per SIDA requirements as well as project briefs to other relevant audiences.
- Assisting in preparing the communications materials with quality content for internal/external purposes and identifying/delivering them through appropriate channels and means such as campaigns, advocacy material, policy briefs, newsletter, factsheets, human interest stories.
- Supporting the ARI Communications team in feeding social media accounts and developing other visual and audio media for dissemination of project results and building new networks.
- Assisting in the delivery of events such as webinars and conferences, including outreach to relevant stakeholders, tracking invites and participation.
- Developing and maintaining relations with all environmental researchers and advocates and establishing communications mechanisms. This also includes maintaining an updated environmental politics program database and regular communications with regional partners.
Financial and Budget Management
- Working closely with the Finance Officer and Administrative Officer to monitor on a monthly basis to reinforce good financial management practices.
- Planning, forecasting and monitoring spending in line with agreed projects budget and expenditure for both ARI and partners.
- Ensuring solid procurement processes are in place for suppliers and service providers to achieve internal and donor compliance. This also includes developing terms of reference and calls for applications, where relevant.
The Project and Communications Coordinator shall be committed to environmental justice in the MENA and to supporting knowledge production/research, capacity building and voices/networks of environmental advocates within MENA with the following background and experience:
- A master’s degree in Social Sciences, Environmental Policy, Management, Development, or any other relevant fields. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree with relevant working experience will also be considered.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of working experience in multi-stakeholder projects.
- Prior experience with international donor-funded organisations
- High level of organization and rigor with detail, and ability to manage many different moving parts at the same time.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, be flexible and comfortable in a multi-cultural work force.
- Good communication skills and the ability to build positive working relationships with the project team and partners.
- Excellent command of English and Arabic is a must.
This is a full-time contract for 12 months (renewable based on successful performance) with an immediate starting date. It is preferable for the candidate to be based in Lebanon or Tunisia.
Please send your CV (max. two pages) and a cover letter describing your qualifications and motivation for the position to: email@example.com with the reference “EPP Program and Communications Coordinator” subject.
The closing date is September 15, 2023
Candidates must have the right to work in Lebanon and/or Tunisia.
We will only contact short-listed candidates.
ARI is a leading independent Arab think tank working with expert partners in the Middle East and North Africa and beyond to articulate a home-grown agenda for democratic change and social justice. It conducts research and policy analysis and provides a platform for inspirational voices based on the principles of diversity, impartiality, gender equality and social justice.
ARI strives to be an equal opportunities employer. ARI is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.