Position: Intern (three positions available)
Reports to: ARI Program and Communications Manager
Location: Paris ∙ Beirut ∙ Tunis ∙ Online
Duration: Minimum 4 months
- Environmental Politics: Intern-EV
- Communications: Intern-COM
- Tunisia and Tunisian Affairs: Intern-TN
The Arab Reform Initiative (ARI) is a policy research centre whose key mission is to articulate a homegrown agenda for democratic change in Arab countries. It operates on the principles of impartiality, social justice, gender equality, and diversity. It conducts policy analysis and research, while providing a platform for inspirational voices and empowering young scholars and socially engaged youth. ARI is a hub for a network of Arab think tanks and works in partnership with international institutions. ARI engages academic research centres, think tanks, social movements, decision-makers, media and the public on issues of democratization and political transformation. ARI combines scholarly work and advocacy and produces practical intellectual tools to influence existing political transformation. It promotes sustained exchanges and dialogues on reform across the region and with outside partners.
ARI is currently looking for three interns starting October 2021 (for at least 4 months and ideally 6). Interns will work with the entire ARI team on numerous different projects and activities and will be under the direction of the Programme and Communications Coordinator. The internship will combine a variety of skills, including project development, communications, administrative and logistical management, and research.
Each intern will have a particular focus, with the available options being:
- Environmental Politics
- Tunisia and Tunisian affairs
When submitting your cover letter, please note which internship topic you are most interested in both in your letter and in the subject line of the email.
*Responsibilities may vary depending on the topic of the internship. Below is an overview of potential tasks.
- Contribute research to at least one ARI project (possible areas of research include the new Arab diasporas, the trajectories of youth in conflict contexts, governance of natural resources and local climate change initiatives, among others)
- Support the research team in mapping institutions and organizations working on environment, humanitarian issues, and other related fields.
- Contribute to research (possible areas of research to include the new Arab diasporas, the trajectories of youth in conflict contexts, governance of natural resources and local climate change initiatives, among others).
- Work with the Communications team to develop the association’s Annual Report
- Work directly on the organization of ARI’s events, including conferences and workshops
- Assist in developing and implementing the social media strategy: prepare engaging social content based on ARI outputs, plan the social media calendar and content posted on all channels, monitor social media performance indicators and metrics, monitor the performance of our social media campaigns, stay up to date with current trends in the region, and build relationships with key regional and country influencers.
- Contribute to the preparation of ARI publications, including the placement of new material and presentation on the website, the preparation and promotion of newsletters to various ARI audiences, and the maintenance and updating of the contacts database.
- Work with the Executive Director and Deputy Director on various fundraising and development tasks, including the development of new project proposals and the identification of new foundations and partnerships that correspond with ARI’s priorities and programming.
- Candidates must be able to speak/read/write both English and Arabic to a professional level. Knowledge of French a plus.
- Self-motivated and autonomous in the workplace. ARI seeks interns who are able to both create their own work and build their niche within the association.
- Interns should have demonstrable experience in the field of their desired internship.
Deadline: 19 September 2021
TO APPLY: Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line including the appropriate reference as above (Intern-EV OR Intern-COM OR Intern-TN).