Position: Arabic Language Editor
Reports to: Director of Publications
Location: remotely based consultancy
Reference: ARI - ALE
The Arab Reform Initiative is a leading independent think tank that promotes a home-grown agenda for democratic change as well as social and environmental justice in Arab countries. ARI conducts policy analysis and innovative field research, combines scholarly work and advocacy, and acts as a policy platform for emerging voices from the region.
ARI partners with leading local and regional research centers and media outlets, including for the development of new tools for disseminating research and recommendations (from videos to infographics), and for publication along different networks and channels. In addition, ARI uses diverse tools, venues, and strategies to reach a broad audience, built around targeted stakeholder segmentation.
The Arab Reform Initiative is seeking a highly qualified Arabic Language Editor to assist in the editing and refinement of a series of research papers written in Arabic. As an Arabic Language Editor, you will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy, clarity, and cultural appropriateness of all written materials produced in Arabic. The successful candidate will work closely with the Publications team to edit and proofread various types of research papers covering topics ranging from social protection, environmental politics, women political participation, trade unions, and others.
The Arabic Language Editor will have the following key responsibilities:
- Provide constructive feedback to writers, helping them enhance the quality and clarity of their Arabic content.
- Edit and proofread written content in Arabic to ensure it is well structured and adheres to high linguistic and grammatical standards while maintaining the intended meanings and messages.
- Ensure the content is relevant and appropriate for the target Arabic-speaking audience.
- Verify the accuracy and consistency of facts, data, and sources in Arabic content and correct any inaccuracies.
- Enhance the readability and flow of the content and arguments with a view to rendering it engaging, clear, and compelling for an Arabic audience.
- Ensure consistency in terminology, style, and tone throughout all Arabic language materials in line with the Arab Reform Initiative internal house style.
- Copy-editing and proof-reading of layout files of the publications
- Native-level proficiency in Arabic with an excellent command of grammar, syntax, and vocabulary.
- Proven experience as an Arabic Language Editor, Copy Editor, or similar role with a strong portfolio of previous work, in communications, journalism, or publishing (or related fields) with a focus on MENA countries and issues.
- Solid understanding of the politics of the MENA Region
- Ability to provide constructive feedback and work collaboratively with the Publications team.
- Exceptional attention to detail and a keen eye for errors in text.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with tools and software commonly used for editing and proofreading in Arabic.
The Arabic Language Editor is expected to deliver the following:
- Provide feedback and comments with a view to improving the content of research papers.
- Edit for substance and proofread research papers in Arabic and ensure they are free from errors.
- Regular updates to the Publications Director regarding the progress of editing tasks.
The Arabic Language Editor is expected to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all materials and information accessed during the course of the work.
Interested candidates should submit their CV, portfolio, editing rates, and any relevant work samples to email@example.com with the reference “Arabic Editor” subject. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further evaluation, which will include editing assessments and interviews.
Deadline: The deadline for application submission is 10 December 2023.